This course is designed to introduce the students to the highway transportation system; to help develop his/her driving knowledge and skills so that he/she can safely operate a vehicle in today’s motorized society.
Content includes, but is not limited to: the study of Florida’s road rules and signs, safe and efficient driving practices, natural laws and their application to driving, planning for safe travel to include map studies, a comprehensive study of the effects of alcohol and drugs on driving performance, the legal and moral obligations involved in automobile ownership, and defensive driving strategies. Incorporated into this course will be the Driver Education Licensing Assistance Program (D.E.L.A.P.), which is in cooperation with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Laboratory activities are an integral part of this course and shall be offered concurrently with classroom instruction. Students who demonstrate responsible driving skills and have physical ability to safely operate a vehicle will receive a road test waiver allowing them to obtain their driver’s license once they have held their permit for one year.
- Comprehend and perceive a basic knowledge of the Highway Transportation system.
- Demonstrate the ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Recognize and correctly respond to road signs, signals, and pavement markings.
Textbook: Drive Right and Florida’s State Driving Manual
Special Course Requirements: Students must be 15 years of age or older.
Driver Education Units:
- Getting a Permit and License
- Alcohol, Drugs and Road Rage
- Getting to Know Your Car
- Entering your car and Putting It In Motion
- Starting, Steering, and Stopping
- Making Turns, Intersections, and Right of Way
- Signs, Lines, and Signals
- Parking and Turnabouts
- Freeway Driving
- Basic Car Maintenance
- Emergency Situations
Using Modern Technology (Internet)
Students will be able to list various websites to assist in finding information about: Locating a used car, Book values of used cars, Kelley Blue Book, Cost of Ownership.
If your son / daughter is interested in enrolling in our driver's education program, please visit our school guidance counselors.